Shades of Purple=Voter Percentage x Party
Solid Blue=Dems, Deep Purple=Lean Dem, Blueish Purple=Close Spilt,
Redish Purple=Lean Repub, Solid Red=Repub
From Physics Prof Mark Newman at University of Michigan (Go Big Ten!), some very interesting demographic mapping of the results of the 2008 Presidential Election. The first map shows the counties across America that went Democrat or Republican, with a basic Blue or Red shading. But it gets much more interesting when you see the second map with shades of a purple color scale, used to show degree of voter leanings.
Note the overall "purpleness" of the United States of America.
A Deep Purple America?
- O beautiful, for spacious skies,
- For amber waves of grain,
- For purple mountain majesties
- Above the fruited plain!
- America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
- And crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea.
- First Verse, America the Beautiful